Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Review: Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi


★★★★★

Seriously, if you haven't given this series a chance yet, you really, really ought to do so. Ignore the Goodreads reviewers' complaints about prose. I get where they're coming from, and I can tell you right now those people are only hurting themselves by not giving Tahereh Mafi the benefit of the doubt. Because character development. The prose in the first book is meant to reflect who Juliette was at that point, and she is not that girl anymore.

This review is going to contain spoilers for Shatter Me and Unravel me, so if you have not read those yet, please read them now. I'll wait.




Okay, ready?
So. Ignite Me picks up after Juliette has broken both Adam's and Warner's hearts and been shot by their father. She finds out that Omega Point has been destroyed and everyone in it is dead. Well, almost everyone. We're supposed to assume that there's a very small chance Adam and Kenji and the rest made it out alive, but we all know better, right? Adam's out there, still crying like a baby because Juliette broke up with him or because he thinks she's dead (dude is never satisfied, amirite) and Kenji's out there with him, telling him how annoying all his drama is.
And Juliette is with Warner. Who saved her life, even though she broke his heart.
Man, this book was everything I wanted it to be. Of all the trilogies that have ended in the past year, this one had the most satisfying ending. Honestly, it's the first series-ender since Reached that didn't give me that feeling where my stomach drops and my blood runs cold because I've just realized it's not going to end how I wanted it to end. I mean, it had about the same effect as Requiem-- which I know most people hated (they're all a bunch of know-nothing Jon Snows if you ask me)-- everything just built up and built up to a place that made sense, that didn't try to make the reader feel like an idiot for wanting a happy ending. Sure, it's not a happy ending for everyone, but all in all it's much happier than it could have been.
Why?
Because of Juliette Ferrars.
She thinks in mostly normal sentences. She doesn't cross out her thoughts. She stands up for herself, and for everyone else. She's done wallowing in self-pity and she's done letting her power control her. She's learning to control it, in more ways than one.
I'm trying not to give away too much since the book just came out yesterday, so I'll just say this: she realizes that one relationship is wrong for her. And she finds herself with two right ones (not necessarily romantic).
And stuff.
Goes.
Down.

This book is perfectly paced, has consistent humor balanced well with all the angst, and anyone who complained of insta-love in the first book is going to be ridiculously pleased with this one. There's not a dull moment in the entire book, but really the thing most worth talking about is the character development. And not just Juliette's. Adam's, Warner's, Kenji's (keep in mind that not all character development is good development). I want to write amusing songs about their relationships with each other. Also, move over Adji (Kendam?), there's a new brotp in town. More of a reluctant, nervous-laughter brotp, but it makes me so, so happy.
In fact, here's a spoiler-lite list of things about this book that make me happy:
  • Kenji (◕‿◕✿)
  • No crossouts ʘ‿ʘ 
  • Warner being serious (◡‿◡✿)
  • Warner joking (✿◠‿◠)
  • Nobody understanding Warner's sense of humor (╹◡╹)
  • Juliette being a badass (◕‿-)
  • A certain "unidentified roadkill" comment (◑‿◐)
  • Chapter 55 (✿ ♥‿♥)
  • James 。◕ ‿ ◕。
  • Juliette telling Warner what to do (~ ̄▽ ̄)~
  • "Two hundred and sixty-four days I was in there and the whole time, I had the power to break myself out and I didn't, because I had no idea I would. Because I never even tried. Because I let the world teach me to hate myself. I was a coward, who needed someone else to tell me I was worth something before I took any steps to save myself." ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
  • JULIETTE FERRARS TAKING CONTROL OF HER OWN GOSHDARN LIFE (。♥‿♥。)
Let's recall that I gave Shatter Me 2 stars.
And then I gave Unravel Me 4 stars.
Well, she's finally done it.
I'm giving Ignite Me 5 stars, and I feel good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment