Sunday, May 13, 2012

Another book survey


1. Who’s your favorite book character and why?

This is such a difficult question to answer, because I love a lot of book characters equally but for different reasons. It's hard to compare them. I think maybe I'll pick Augustus Waters.

2. Do you read magazines and comics regularly? Which ones?

No. I get Entertainment Weekly in the mail, but I don't read the whole thing. Also, I look through it backward because the Bullseye is the best part.

3. What was the worst book you’ve ever read?

I'm really uncomfortable with this question. "Worst" is subjective, and I don't think it's fair to put that label on someone's work... I mean, I could go with the obvious choice of New Moon here, but I won't. I can tell you my least favorite book I've ever read [and finished] was Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. I know a lot of people love that book because of the writing, but for me, beautiful writing is not enough. The book has to have plot and character development and at least one character who isn't completely odious. Imaginary Girls had potential to be really cool, but it left too much to be desired.

4. Who do you think is the most underrated author?

Well, I don't know of all the authors out there, but I don't think Jennifer Donnelly gets enough attention. As for authors who get a lot of attention but not enough of it positive, Cassandra Clare. People are way too quick to jump on the "bash Cassandra Clare because her books are popular" bandwagon-- and let me tell you, this woman is no Stephenie Meyer. She knows how to spin a phrase, and she knows how to break your heart, and she knows how to write characters whose actions always make sense in the context of their lives, if not in the context of real life. And people freely criticize the Mortal Instruments and decide that because they didn't like those books, they don't like any of her writing. Those people should probably be attacked by clockwork automatons or something. *wink*

5. What’s your favourite genre to read?

YA... lately I'm on a contemporary kick because a lot of the dystopian/fantasy/paranormal I've been trying just isn't cutting it.


6. What’s your favorite nonfiction book (if any)?

What is this 'nonfiction' of which you speak?

7. If you could live the life of any book character, whose would it be?

OH boy. Anna Oliphant was the first one to come to mind, because first she went to an American school in PARIS, where she made awesome friends, and then she moved to SAN FRANCISCO, where she studies film.
Or Bria Sandoval from Wanderlove...
Or maybe Bev [last name?] from The Disenchantments, minus the making-out-with-girls-and-random-dudes.
[please note that I did not pick any of these for their love interests, but for their actual lives.]

8. Have you ever written/tried to write a book or short story? What was it about?

I have written several short stories. The most recent, and probably my favorite, was about a girl who met her brother once when she was 8 and then, at 16, has to go across the country for his funeral. It's better than it sounds.

9. How do you usually discover new books?

Goodreads or from people on Tumblr talking about them.

10. Is there any book that you’ve been meaning to read for ages, but still haven’t gotten around to?

Haha yeah, the last 5 Harry Potter books. But I'm doing it now.

11. If you could pick one film to be turned in to a book, what film would it be?

The Yellow Handkerchief. When I watched the movie, I thought it would've made a better book.

No comments:

Post a Comment