Sunday, November 6, 2011

Everyone is Divergent

So I found this "Which Divergent faction are you?" quiz on the Divergent Facebook page-- so, you know, it's official and everything-- and I took it. I was kind of surprised that I got Candor, but now it kind of makes sense to me. I was expecting to get Erudite, but that would have totally sucked on account of Erudite is a bunch of snobby bookworms who think they own everyone because they're smarter than them. I knew I wouldn't get Dauntless (just the fact that it wasn't even a possibility makes me feel so lame), Amity is not really my style (friendly to everyone? No, thanks), and I just don't think Abnegation is realistic (it's not possible to be completely selfless at all times). So I'm pretty happy with this result, except... it makes me a little bit like Christina. Part of me is like heck yes! Christina is awesome! She's that person who says things everyone else is thinking but nobody will say. But the other part of me is like, Christina can be... mean. I know people sometimes think I'm mean, but I'm really not. Sure, I'm not a big fan of sugarcoating things (Jon McLaughlin said it best when he said "we've sugarcoated everything and now it's rotting out my teeth"), but I don't like to be tactless either. The people of Candor are unnecessarily forthcoming with their opinions. Just being honest doesn't mean you can't keep some things to yourself, especially if they're your own thoughts.
Anyway. Another thing I'm thinking about is... which faction would Katniss Everdeen be in? I know we can rule out Amity, for the same reason I ruled out Amity for myself, and she's smart but she's no Erudite, and she would not have survived her father's death if she were completely selfless, so that eliminates Abnegation. So... Dauntless or Candor? And herein lies the central point of Divergent: people cannot be classified into one category or another. You can try, but there are always those things that conflict with oversimplification (to quote John Green, "The truth resists simplicity"). Like my discomfort with being mean, and my bookworm tendencies, and the fact that I really wish I could be Dauntless. And Katniss's tendency toward selflessness only when it comes to certain people, and her bravery in the face of extreme fear that causes her to mistrust everyone, and her inability to act like something she's not. Katniss would probably fit in Candor just as well as me, but you can't ignore the Dauntless in her either.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even read this and I want to take the quiz to find out which one I get.

    ReplyDelete