Friday, December 23, 2011

Everything's on fire

So, it's just about 2:00 in the morning and there is no possible way I am going to sleep anytime soon. Because I must write about this song.
At approximately 1:00, Taylor Swift tweeted the announcement that she wrote and recorded a song with The Civil Wars for The Hunger Games soundtrack.
Um, WHAT WAS THAT?!
Yes, Taylor Swift. Lyrical and musical perfection. Plus The Hunger Games. Literary perfection. Plus the movie, which I'm sure will be pretty close to theatrical perfection. Needless to say, I have been listening to this song on repeat for the past 50 minutes or so. It's currently on its 9th play, totally screwing up my most-played songs, but I don't care. Because this just became my favorite song.
That's right. I picked a favorite of something. This song is gosh-dang gorgeous. Like, the acoustic part is so District 12. But the drums are so Arena. And her voice in the song sounds so innocent, but also like she's facing something so dark and horrible and people are counting on her. And the lyrics... they're my favorite part.

I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said don't leave me here alone
But all that's dead and gone and past tonight

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window, darlin' everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold on to this lullaby
Even when the music's gone, gone

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Just close your eyes
You'll be alright
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

If you've read the book, I'm sure you have an EXACT scene in your head for this song to be played in the background. Actually, I have two, but I think it applies most to one in particular (Hint about this scene: it particularly relates to the "Hold on to this lullaby" part).
Every single lyric has a significance though. I knew Taylor Swift could do things like this, but that doesn't stop me from being wide-eyed in fascination over this song. I just... I'm still having trouble coming up with words, even as the song starts playing for the 11th time. It's got the perfect mixture of creepy, scared, innocent, dark and haunting. The guitar. Her voice. The lyrics. "Everything's on fire" --YEAH? LIKE WHAT? Oh, you know, some characters, some trees, some logos. "I remember you said don't leave me here alone" --This relates not only to The Hunger Games, but to Catching fire too ("Stay with me?").

It conveys perfectly how hopeless the situation is. It sounds hopeful, because that's what the person in this scene is trying to do for the other person, but in reality it's not. "Just close your eyes, you'll be alright, come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound" ...using this for the scene I have in mind, it's heartbreaking. Because the person she's talking to won't be alright. She's just trying to comfort him/her. "When all those shadows almost killed your light" --she won't let the "shadows" (aka the Capitol) kill the light (innocence) inside of this person. She doesn't leave; she stays and does something about it. She saves the light by not leaving.

It makes me wonder how they are going to top this for the movies that follow the first one. Lionsgate has done every single thing right so far. They gave us the moving poster. Then the teaser trailer. Then they made us wait in frustrated anticipation for the trailer, but not for too long. The trailer is perfect. I was just saying I will probably even buy the soundtrack the other day, and now I find out they've put Taylor Swift on it. So now I HAVE to buy it. I honestly don't think Suzanne Collins could have picked a better production company to give the movie rights to.

I think I have calmed down sufficiently to attempt going to sleep. After the song is done playing for the 14th time. (P.S. Please note, on my blog I have the tags "My obsession with The Hunger Games" and "Taylor Swift is not human." I never thought I would be able to use both at once. AHHHH)

No comments:

Post a Comment