Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A small rant.


So, I was just trolling on Tumblr (you know, the usual), and I came across a blog in which the person who owns it talks incessantly about how they hate the Mortal Instruments series, and thus refuse to read the Infernal Devices series because they blame Cassandra Clare. They say that she plagiarizes her own fanfiction and that her writing is just "bad." And yet, they read the entire first THREE BOOKS of the Mortal Instruments series. What? I don't care how compulsively you read; if you hate something that much, you don't voluntarily read approximately 1300 pages of it. You just don't.
As for the plagiarism, maybe it's true. Although I highly doubt her editors/publishers would let her get away with that. But let's say it is true. SO WHAT?! It's not like she stole the writing from the fanfiction. She made her fans' ideas reality in her own way, and let me tell you, I haven't read the Mortal Instruments yet but I guarantee the writing is not bad. The writing in the Infernal Devices series is gorgeous. And "gorgeous" isn't usually a word I use to describe writing. I mean, the books themselves are no Hunger Games or Harry Potter, but it's not Twilight either.
Now, I have noticed a lot of comparisons/similiarities [via Tumblr] between the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices, especially in the characters. I'm not saying I'll be able to totally ignore that, because it will surely seem like she has a set structure for her groups of characters that she uses and she can't come up with any other ones. That's not exactly original (it's like plagiarizing from herself). But what I'm saying is, it shouldn't affect how much you like or dislike the individual stories. Sometimes I think people spend so much time trying to decide how they're going to react to a book that they don't focus on the book itself. Read the book and then decide how you felt about it. I have no doubt that if you read it and then decide you don't like it, you will not be tempted to read the next one.
And, to the person who refuses to read the Infernal Devices based on their irrational hatred of Cassie Clare: it is not the same as the Mortal Instruments. You might be surprised. Personally I enjoy being able to read an entire series in an English accent [in my head].

No comments:

Post a Comment